Foot & Ankle Surgery
Who is a Good Candidate for Foot and Ankle Surgery?
Determining whether foot and ankle surgery is the right option for a patient depends on several factors. At Eminent Medical Center in Richardson, Texas, our team of experienced orthopedic surgeons evaluates each patient’s condition individually. Good candidates for foot and ankle surgery typically exhibit the following:
- Persistent Pain: Patients who experience chronic pain in the foot or ankle that does not respond to conservative treatments like rest, physical therapy, or medication may be candidates for surgery.
- Limited Mobility: Individuals with reduced mobility due to foot or ankle conditions may benefit from surgical intervention to regain function and mobility.
- Failed Conservative Treatment: If nonsurgical foot and ankle care have been tried and have not provided relief or improvement, surgery may be the next step.
- Severe Structural Deformities: Conditions such as severe bunions or flatfoot deformities that significantly impact a patient’s quality of life may require surgical correction.
- Injury or Trauma: Surgical intervention is often necessary for acute injuries like fractures, tendon tears, or ligament damage.
It’s important for patients to consult with a qualified orthopedic surgeon at Eminent Medical Center to determine if foot and ankle surgery is the right choice for their specific needs.
Eminent Medical Center strives for the highest quality healthcare and is measured by the satisfaction of our patients overall experience.
What to Expect Before, During, and After Foot and Ankle Surgery
Patient education about specific conditions and recommended surgical treatments is a crucial part of informed consent in the medical world. At Eminent Medical Center, our Texas sports medicine doctors will ensure that each patient feels prepared and comfortable with their treatment plan before going under the knife.
Here is what you can expect before, during, and after surgery.
Before undergoing foot and ankle surgery at Eminent Medical Center in Richardson, patients can expect a thorough evaluation and pre-operative preparation. This process may include:
The specifics of the surgical procedure will vary depending on the type of foot and ankle surgery being performed. However, patients can generally expect the following during surgery:
Recovery from foot and ankle surgery is a crucial phase of the treatment process. Patients should be prepared for the following post-operative care:
Benefits of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Foot and ankle surgery at Eminent Medical Center in Richardson offers numerous benefits for patients, including:
- Pain Relief: Surgery can alleviate chronic pain and discomfort, improving the patient’s quality of life.
- Improved Mobility: Surgical intervention can restore mobility and function, allowing patients to return to their daily activities.
- Prevention of Further Damage: Surgery can prevent the progression of conditions and prevent further damage to the affected area.
- Enhanced Quality of Life: Many patients experience an overall improvement in their quality of life, both physically and mentally, after successful foot and ankle surgery.
- Better Cosmetic Appearance: Surgeries like bunionectomy can also improve the cosmetic appearance of the foot, boosting self-esteem and confidence.
Risks and Complications of Foot and Ankle Surgery
While foot and ankle surgery can be highly effective, it’s essential to be aware of the potential risks and complications associated with any surgical procedure. Patients at Eminent Medical Center in Richardson should have a thorough discussion with their surgeon to understand these risks. Some common risks and complications of foot and ankle surgery include:
- Infection: Any surgical procedure carries a risk of infection. Patients will be provided with guidelines on wound care and monitoring for signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or discharge.
- Blood Clots: Surgery can increase the risk of blood clots forming in the legs, a condition known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Patients may be prescribed blood-thinning medications or advised on preventive measures.
- Nerve Damage: There is a possibility of nerve damage during surgery, which can lead to numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the foot or ankle.
- Scarring: Surgical incisions will result in scars, and the appearance of scars can vary from person to person. Proper wound care and follow-up with the surgeon can help minimize scarring.
- Implant Complications: In cases where implants, such as artificial joints or screws, are used, there is a risk of implant-related issues, including loosening, wear, or allergic reactions.
- Failure to Achieve Desired Outcome: While surgery aims to improve the patient’s condition, there is no guarantee of a complete resolution of symptoms or a perfect outcome.
- Postoperative Pain: Recovery from foot and ankle surgery can involve discomfort and pain, which may persist for some time.
- Delayed Healing: In some cases, healing may take longer than expected, and patients may need additional procedures or therapies.
It’s important to note that the likelihood of these complications varies depending on the specific surgery, the patient’s overall health, and adherence to post-operative care instructions. Patients should communicate openly with their Texas foot/ankle specialists to address any concerns and ensure a smooth recovery.
Schedule an Appointment at Eminent Medical Center Today
If you are experiencing persistent foot or ankle pain, limited mobility, or have a foot and ankle condition that requires surgical intervention, Eminent Medical Center in Richardson, Texas, is here to provide expert care and personalized treatment options. Our experienced orthopedic surgeons, state-of-the-art facilities, and comprehensive approach to patient care make us a leading choice for foot and ankle surgery in the Richardson area.
Don’t let foot and ankle pain hold you back from enjoying life to the fullest. Contact Eminent Medical Center today at 469-910-8800 to schedule an appointment and take the first step toward a pain-free and active future. Our dedicated team, with their advanced training, is proud to help you regain mobility, alleviate discomfort, and improve your overall quality of life through advanced foot and ankle surgery. Your journey to better foot and ankle health begins at Eminent Medical Center.