Common Types of Orthopedic Surgery
Eminent Medical Center offers a comprehensive range of treatment options to address various musculoskeletal issues. Some of the common types of orthopaedic surgery we perform include:
Joint Replacement Surgery
Joint replacement surgery involves replacing damaged or deteriorated joints, such as the hip, knee, or shoulder, with artificial prosthetic components.
Hip replacements and knee replacements are often recommended for patients with severe arthritis or joint injuries that have not responded to conservative treatments, such as physical therapy and pain medication.
An arthroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a tiny camera (arthroscope) and small incisions to diagnose and treat joint conditions.
Minimally invasive procedures like this are commonly used for issues like torn ligaments, damaged cartilage, and inflamed synovial membranes.
Orthopedic surgeons at Eminent Medical Center perform spinal surgeries to address conditions like herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease.
These procedures aim to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerves and restore spinal stability.
When bones break due to accidents or trauma, our orthopaedic surgeons can perform fracture repair surgeries to realign and stabilize the fractured bones.
This helps in promoting proper healing and preventing long-term complications.
Tendon and Ligament Repair
Tendon and ligament injuries, such as torn rotator cuffs or ACL tears, may require surgical repair to restore function and stability to the affected joint or limb.
Wrist and Hand Surgery
Orthopedic surgeons specializing in hand and wrist surgery can address conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, and fractures of the hand and wrist bones.
Foot and Ankle Surgery
Foot and ankle surgery is performed to treat conditions like bunions, plantar fasciitis, and Achilles tendon injuries, restoring normal function and relieving pain.
Medical Conditions That Orthopedic Surgeons Can Manage or Treat
Every single orthopaedic surgeon at Eminent Medical Center is equipped to manage and treat a wide range of medical conditions related to the musculoskeletal system. These conditions may include, but are not limited to:
- Arthritis: Orthopedic surgeons can help manage and treat various forms of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis, by providing pain relief and joint preservation or replacement options.
- Sports Injuries: Athletes and active individuals often experience orthopedic injuries like torn ligaments (e.g. ACL or MCL), meniscus tears, and stress fractures. Orthopedic sports medicine can aid in repairing these injuries and restoring optimal function.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: Degenerative disc disease can lead to chronic back pain and diminished mobility. Our orthopedic surgeons can perform procedures to address this condition, such as spinal fusion or disc replacement.
- Herniated Discs: A herniated disc can cause compression of spinal nerves and result in pain, numbness, or weakness in the extremities. Surgery may be required to alleviate pressure on the nerves and provide relief, especially if non-surgical methods have been unsuccessful.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Orthopedic surgeons can perform carpal tunnel release surgery to relieve the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, a common condition characterized by wrist pain, tingling, and numbness.
- Tendinitis and Bursitis: Tendinitis and bursitis often cause pain and inflammation in the tendons and bursae. Surgical interventions can be performed to alleviate these symptoms when conservative treatments fail.
- Scoliosis: For patients with scoliosis, an unnatural curvature of the spine, orthopaedic surgery may be recommended to correct the spinal deformity and prevent further progression.
- Rotator Cuff Tears: An orthopaedic surgeon can repair torn rotator cuffs, which are common shoulder injuries, to restore shoulder function and alleviate pain.
How Do I Know If I Need Orthopedic Surgery?
Determining whether you need orthopedic surgery is a collaborative process between you and your orthopedic specialist. Your journey typically begins with an initial consultation, during which your orthopaedic surgeon will perform a thorough evaluation of your medical history, symptoms, and physical examination. Additional diagnostic tests of your musculoskeletal injuries, such as X-rays, MRIs, or CT scans, may be ordered to provide a comprehensive assessment of your condition.
Signs that may indicate the need for orthopedic surgery include:
Your orthopedic surgeon will carefully consider all factors before recommending surgery. They will discuss the risks, benefits, and alternatives to surgery with you, allowing you to make an informed decision about your treatment plan.
Eminent Medical Center strives for the highest quality healthcare and is measured by the satisfaction of our patients overall experience.
What to Expect Before Orthopedic Surgery
Before undergoing orthopaedic surgery at Eminent Medical Center, you can expect a comprehensive pre-surgical preparation process to ensure the best possible outcome. Here’s what to expect:
Eminent Medical Center is committed to ensuring that every patient is well-prepared for their orthopedic surgery. Our team will guide you through each step of the preoperative process.
What to Expect The Day of Your Orthopedic Surgery
On the day of your orthopedic surgery at Eminent Medical Center, you can expect a well-organized and supportive environment that prioritizes your comfort and safety. Here’s what you can anticipate:
At Eminent Medical Center, our top priority is ensuring your safety and comfort throughout your surgical experience. Our dedicated team of orthopedic doctors are committed to delivering the highest standard of care.
What to Expect After Orthopedic Surgery
Recovery after orthopedic surgery is a crucial phase in your treatment journey, and Eminent Medical Center is dedicated to supporting you every step of the way. Here’s what you can expect during the postoperative period:
Remember that each patient’s recovery journey is unique, and the timeline for returning to normal activities may vary. Eminent Medical Center is here to support you throughout your recovery and provide the resources and expertise needed to optimize your outcome.
Benefits of Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopedic surgery offers numerous benefits for patients suffering from a variety of orthopedic conditions or injuries:
- Pain relief
- Improved mobility
- Improved quality of life
- Reduced risk of further damage and/or disability
- The ability to live an active lifestyle without pain or restriction
- Long-term results
Orthopedic Surgery Risks and Complications
While orthopedic surgery can provide significant benefits, it is essential to be aware of potential risks and complications as well, which can vary depending on the type of procedure. Some common risks associated with orthopedic surgery include:
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage
- Long-term pain
- Excessive bleeding
- Noticeable scarring
Schedule an Appointment at Eminent Medical Center Today
If you are experiencing musculoskeletal pain, limited mobility, or have been diagnosed with a condition that may require orthopedic surgery, we invite you to schedule an appointment with Eminent Medical Center in Richardson, TX. Our experienced team of orthopedic specialists are dedicated to providing you with compassionate and expert care, tailored to your unique needs.
At Eminent Medical Center, our medical staff will prioritize your well-being and deliver the highest quality orthopedic sports medicine and surgical services in the Richardson, TX area. Contact us today at 469-910-8800 to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward a pain-free and active life.